• No you do not need to bring your own rifle, we do have rifles here for you to use.
  • If you wish to bring your own rifle you need to apply at least 30 days prior to your trip with NZ Police.  https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/visitor-firearms-licence-and-import-permits 
  • We would recommend bringing calibar between .270 - .300Mag.

  • You will require the following information for your application:

    • ​Address: Doughboy Hunting Lodge, Doughboy Road, Murchison, South Island, New Zealand 7007

    • Phone: +64 3 523 9249

    • Alex's Firearms No.: Please contact us directly for this.



Do I need to bring my own Rifle?


Requirements for visiting NZ


Climate and  recommended Gear Listing
  • New Zealand weather can be very unpredictable. With the Trophy Hunting Season running from February to the end of July, you may be hunting in a varied range of conditions.

  • Below is a recommend gear list for a stay of seven days. Keep in mind we recommend you hunt in layered clothing and to avoid bulky / heavy clothes:

    • 2 pairs hunting trousers - light to medium weight

    • 2 shirts - 1 light and 1 medium weight

    • 4 pairs hunting socks

    • 2 sets polyprop shirt and pants

    • Light weight jacket

    • 1 warm hunting jacket

    • 1 set of high quality, light weight and breathable rain gear (Pants and Jacket)

    • 1 pair waterproof gloves

    • 1 warm hat or cap

    • 1 pair hunting boots (Please clean well before bringing over)

    • Binoculars

    • Day Pack

    • Head Lamp

    • Camera

    • Sunglasses

  • If bringing your own rifle, bring two packets of ammunition, preferably what your gun is shot in with.

  • Note: Your clothes will be washed at the lodge, when required.


Taxidermy and Permits
  • Our Taxidermist is based in Christchurch, in the South Island. We will arrange shipment of your trophies to the Taxidermist for either expediting or mounting.
  • Two permits are required. One is the CITES permit and the other is a Ministry of Agriculture permit. Our Taxidermist will arrange both permits for you.

Contact us today for more information on pricing and packages.